Saturday, October 9, 2010

Apple Gallette

I have a confession. I Love Costco. I mean, really. LOVE it! It's so awesome to be able to get all the usual things I buy, but LOTS of it. A household of 5 plus a large dog = lots of laundry. And there's nothing worse than being 2 loads from complete (starting with oh, about 20 loads to do) and run out of Tide! Or even worse, running out of Downy! Or how about Charmin?? Lots of butts around here, so....you can figure the rest. Have you tried their granola?!? It's THE absolute best I've ever tasted. Literally, I eat it for breakfast EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. Never get burned out. I could go on, but it's just so nice to have plenty of the essential things we need (or love) and not having to worry about running out.

Anyway, I digress. So, needless to say I buy lots of stuff at Costco. While I try not to go there on an empty stomach, sometimes I can't help myself. This time it was apples. The kids LOVE apples. So why not buy LOTS?!? We can't eat them fast enough and I was feeling a bit bad about buying SO many. Being that it is the season for apples, inspiration wasn't tough to find, as far as something to do with them. (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Google Reader?)

Thought about these apple dumplings by The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond (She ROCKS!) but didn't have any Mountain Dew on hand. So I went for a "rustic" aka lazy version of an apple pie - the Gallette! By definition the gallette is a general term used to describe various forms of flat, round or freeform crusty cakes.

I started with a pre-made pie crust. Yes, I could've made one but I had these on hand and it saved TONS of time.
The recipe:

4 large apples - your favorite variety ( I used Pink Lady) - peeled & cored
1 tbsp flour
juice of a lemon - approx 2 tbsp
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp clove
1/4 tsp ginger

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp cinnamon sugar

Put your peeled, cored & sliced apples in a bowl and toss with lemon juice. In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar & spices. Toss with apples.

Take your pie crust (store bought or otherwise) and lay it onto a greased pizza pan or rectangular cookie sheet. Lay the apple mixture either in a circular pattern or in rows into the middle of the cold pie crust.

Fold up edges of the pie crust around the apple filling
and dot with butter
Lastly, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar - I keep a shaker of cinnamon sugar handy since we LOVE it on buttered toast!
Bake at 425 degrees for about 50 minutes or until golden brown. For maximum impact, serve with vanilla ice cream OR cinnamon whipped cream!

Trust me. It won't disappoint.

No comments: