Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Another Healthy Treat!

While I realize that I've been kind of obsessed focused on recipes lately, I have another great one for you!

I haven't really filled you in on my coupon/money saving techniques on my grocery shopping trips but it truly deserves a post of it's own.  Meanwhile, I will tell you that I've been saving a TON of money and able to buy some fun and healthy new things to try.  The first of which is quinoa.

There's SO many fascinating recipes with quinoa and I've been so eager to try it.  So I picked up some quinoa on my last shopping trip.  It's an organic variety and seems pretty simple to cook.  So in my quest to decide what to make first, I really wanted to find something that would be healthy and filling.  I did a foodgawker search for energy bars....none with quinoa.  Then I searched quinoa bars and nothing really stood out.  Then I found THIS RECIPE for apple quinoa cake - perfect.  I'm a sucker for dessert! As always, with my cheater / improv style, I had to make a couple of substitutions.

First mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 ts[ ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

In a separate bowl, mix the wet remaining ingredients.  I used:

1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans (any nuts wold work)
1/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp ground flax
Add 1 large apple, cored & grated and 1 cup cooked quinoa,
 mix well and put in a greased bread pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until done.
 I chose to omit the topping referenced in the recipe linked above.  Allow to cool completely before slicing or it will fall apart ) not that I know ANYTHING about that!)
 It doesn't rise up as much as a regular bread but more like a cake would.  But much more dense.  Plus it's super moist and has great texture from the grated apple.
I've individually wrapped each slice so it's ready for anyone to grab and go.  A healthy alternative to the high calorie & sugary cereal or granola bars.  Plenty sweet and full of nutrition!  If you give it  a try I'd love to hear how YOU liked it!  Leave a comment below. :)

No comments: