Monday, February 21, 2011

Only {5} ingredients

In my quest to eat healthier, I'm trying to incorporate more wholesome alternatives into my meal plan.  Especially for lunch.  Lunch is the perfect time for me to try new things since I eat at work, it won't matter if no one else likes it or not.

This week, I've prepared lots of precut veggies like carrots, celery, orange bell peppers...easy for grab and go.  Way better than dipping these in ranch is hummus.  So, today I decided to try my hand at making it.

Here's my ingredients:

The actual recipe for basic hummus calls for Tahini, not peanut butter.  Tahini is a sesame paste and should be readily available in any grocery store. BUT....being that I'm lazy creative, I replaced the Tahini with peanut butter.  It should probably be a natural kind, like from the health food store but we like to keep it simple around here :)

The directions I found gave a specific order to which ingredients to add and when...again, in keeping things simple, I tossed everything in the food processor and whizzed away!

It was delish!  Not fussy or complicated, just right.  Serve with fresh veggies and some pita or naan!  If you want to try my version, I (sortof) kept track of what I did:

1 can garbanzo beans - reserve liquid
3 tbsp reserved liquid
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp minced garlic

Five ingredients and pretty much five minutes to a great snack.  I've packaged it up for lunches this week and am super excited to have found something healthy and tasty that's super easy to make.




No comments: